Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Beautiful Boy

Before you go to sleep,
Say a little prayer,
Every day in every way,
It's getting better and better,

Beautiful,
Beautiful, beautiful,
Beautiful Boy,

Out on the ocean sailing away,
I can hardly wait,
To see you to come of age,
But I guess we'll both,
Just have to be patient,
Yes it's a long way to go,
But in the meantime,

Before you cross the street,
Take my hand,
Life is just what happens to you,
While your busy making other plans

~John Lennon

My beautiful boy turned 8 on January 1st, and yes I'm almost a full week late posting about it.

I have always laughed at those who wonder where time has gone, but I am now that person. How did my 8 lb, 5 oz bundle of chubby wrinkles turn into this tall and lanky boy? Replacing the pull ups are boxer briefs. Bob the Builder has been abandoned in favor of Tony Hawk. "Little Boy" haircuts became a thing of the past once the mohawk was discovered, the iPod triumphs over Disney CD's, and I'm left wondering where time has gone.

I almost can't see the chubby little baby that used to be, in the mischievous grin that is. I remember holding you for the first time in my arms after a tumultuous pregnancy. I remember months of sleepless nights, and how it felt leaving you at daycare for the first time. I remember what a nightmare it was to potty train you, and how you almost burned our apartment down when you were 3. I remember your nail polish mural painting at 4am, and I remember your ability to write your name in permanent marker on EVERY SINGLE SURFACE. I remember sending you off to kindergarten, and how you told me loudly that it was time for me to leave. You were and are so independent in so many ways and I am constantly amazed at your witty sense of humor and sarcasm, your genuine love for learning and your desire to know God.

The innocence of childhood flees so quickly and unexpectedly and I pray that you hold on to yours as long as you can. I pray for you to be steadfast and patient, to seek truth and light, to show kindness to those around you and to always strive for more. You are such an amazing addition to my life, and have taught me so very much about unconditional love.

Happy 8th Birthday, Beautiful Boy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home